Went to sleep 7 May 2007

Lucy came to us just under 2 years ago. I'll never forget them pulling the back of the horse box down and her whinnying as if to say, "We there yet?".

She was the prettiest little horse I had ever seen, she had been brought up from a foal by my mother-in-law and after I had to part with my first horse (we weren't meant to be together), she offered to sell Lucy to me because she was "quiet" and would be good for me. Well, Lucy...quiet? I don't think so!

As soon as she settled in after a couple of days, her beautiful character started to shine through. She was, oh so cheeky! She was only 13.3hh New Forest cross, but my, was she strong. When I first started to ride Lucy, she didn't know what to do, but I brought her on and gradually she became confident, and as her confidence grew, so did mine. She was my little precious, we would ride up the farm tracks down by the river. Though she was terrified of the cows in a field next to the track, she trusted me enough to know I would never let anything hurt her and she would ride by snorting until we got to the other side and I would make a massive fuss of her. We loved our hugs. I would stand just talking to her about everyday things and she would lift her head, rest it on my shoulder and pull me in for a hug. We would stand like that for ages, until my back could take no more! We would stand at her stable door, quietly looking out together, and she would rest her head on my shoulder and I couldn't help but kiss that gorgeous squidgy nose of hers and smell her. Oh, how I miss her smell.

We were best friends. She would wake me up if I didn't get up in time for breakfast. She would give me 10 minutes, then shout, and the whole farm would hear her! She would nicker at me if I walked past and not stop, so then of course, I had to give that nose a big squidgy kiss. In wintertime, she would gallop around her field so fast I would worry she would do herself an injury. She would squeal and buck and make the rudest noises! We would all be laughing. She would chase me around the field playing, forgetting I'm only a delicate human!

She became ill with Laminitis last year, something I wasn't prepared for as she had always lived outside at my mother-in-laws. But she recovered well and quickly and after what felt like eternity, we were back to our "going out together". I was very protective of her and determined she would never be ill again. She had restricted grazing from then on and I cut my hours at work to spend as much time as I could with her so she wouldn't get bored. She loved my company and I loved hers.

Then this year as spring approached, I was so aware of the grass appearing, I cut her time out even more. But her 2 hours morning and 2 hours late afternoon must have still been too much. One morning going out, she was just a little stiff in her back legs, but she was fine in her stable walking about and standing at her door "moaning" because she had to stay in to anybody that passed her way! After a couple of days she was no better, so I called the vet who then confirmed Laminitis, gave me her medicine and said call back at the end of treatment. But she was no better, so he gave me some stronger stuff. This went on for a little over a week and on the Saturday she finally laid down, she hadn't laid down all this time and at last she seemed to relax. The following day I couldn't get her up, so called the vet. He came and gave her an injection and said her pedal bones in her back feet had rotated and sunk. He was as shocked as I was that this had happened so quickly. He said I had to face the fact she would not recover, but if we could get her over the next couple of days she might be ok. The horse specialist came out the next day, examined her, and said it was in all her feet and there was nothing more they could do. There was only one thing left. I had to stop her pain.

My poor baby, throughout this painful time (two weeks) she still found the energy to hug me. I would hold her water bucket for her to drink from in her final couple of days and she would look at me with those beautiful eyes as if to say thank you. We all spent time with Lucy saying our special goodbyes and as I put her head collar on for the final time, tears streaming down my face, she looked me straight in the eye, ears pricked up as if to say, "It's okay, don't worry.".

Well, my baby, you know how much I love you. I'm so proud of you and I will miss you til we meet again.

Hug you, kiss you, love you, miss you.

Mummy Gillian

Lucy's Support Group Honoree page.

Name Index
Return to Hoofprints On My Heart home.

Copyright © 2007 Hoofbeats In Heaven. All rights reserved.
Text and photos may not be reproduced in any form.